Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My latest project

Linda, one of my closest friends, just became a grandma! Yes, she's my age....oh my gosh! Her daughter Brittany delivered a beautiful, baby boy last Tuesday afternoon. They held the baby shower quite some time ago, figuring that she would either end up on bed rest or delivering early. I had the best of intentions (you know what they say about those, path to hell pathed with them) of making her a quilt for the baby. They chose great colors for a nursery, red, white, and black! Slacker that I am I presented Brittany with a box of fabric at her shower, and picture of the quilt pattern that I intended to use. I knew I had plenty of time to come up with a finished quilt! Oh, did I ever tell you about what a great procrastinator I am? I believe this is also one of my many talents that I inherited from my parents. The day after the baby arrived I found myself running to the quilt store (yes there are actually stores just for quilters!) and buying the last of the fabrics I needed. Thankfully the pattern I used is actually very easy. I know it doesn't look like it, but strip quilting is a snap. The pattern comes from Eleanor Burns book, "Quick Trip Quilts". They are quilt in a day quilt tops. Yes you really can make these quilt tops in one day!



I ended up "machine tying" the quilt, and also did a pieced binding.



Here's a nice little close up of the binding!


Whenever I make a quilt I always have some sort of battle with the cat! When I layer the quilt I try to make sure the cat is sleeping. However, it never fails, the moment I lay out the bottom fabric he comes running to "hide" underneath it. I gave him the extra piece of fleece that I used to back the quilt with.







See how he "hides"!

Usually he'll leave me alone after this. Not this time. Indy (short for Indiana...get it Indiana Jones) decided I needed his help sewing as well!

Indy is a Bengal. I rescued him from the pound in January. He is a very solid cat weighing 14lbs! Believe me, it's all muscle!


Despite his help I finally managed to finish and was able to take the quilt and drop it off yesterday. See, procrastination really does pay! While they checked out the quilt, I got a chance to snuggle the new baby! So little and soft, only 6lbs.
If you look closely at this last pic you'll see Indy's paw on the top. When I layed the quilt out one last time to take a photo, there he was again! Still, It turned out quite nice! Don't you think?

4 comments:

Crissie said...

I think that Indiana is way too cute for his own good. Love the way he looks sitting behind the sewing machine!

Anonymous said...

Oooh! Very nice looking. And the quilt isn't too bad either.

Stephanie said...

What a beautiful quilt. What a lucky baby to have such a good friend in Suzy!

Glad I got to your blog. Keep up the great work.

Les said...

Wow, I can't believe Linda's a grandma! Thanks for the scoop. Way to get that quilt done!